My Second Job

I have a full time job. I work for a theatre and I get paid a salary to run the box office. For those who believe in the idea of "working a real job". There you go. I work a real job.

For those that believe in following your passion and not giving up on the dream, I do that too. I make movies. I made Off the Cuff and I made Welcome to Gentle Waters. So there you go. I follow my passion too.

It is two full time jobs. If you have a passion for science and you are a scientist then you are lucky because you have a one job that pays you to do what you love.

Artists have to do both. They often have to work 40+ hours a week and go do their passion at night or on the weekends. People who get paid to do their art, worked for a very long time to get to that point, they did not just graduate college and started getting paid a decent enough amount to not have two jobs. Unless they went to Yale. But even then, I know a few Harvard and Yale theatre school graduates and they mainly live off of their parents still in their 30's. I don't let those facebook updates about travelling the circus or making mediocre short films fool me.

I used to get offended when I heard someone say I should get a real job, or Brent should get a real job. Although we always have worked real jobs, just not high paying corporate ones. They thought we should be doing something we don't like to do because we are really smart and capable and went to college. But I don't feel offended anymore, because we are seeing our years of mundane day jobs combined with relentless perseverance of our dreams pay off. And I don't think those people understand. And over time some of those people who were judgmental and critical have moved on to pick on someone else.

Right now my second job is researching film festivals for WTGW. We have entered six so far since our successful Kickstarter fund ended. They are:

Austin Film Fest
SoCal Film Fest
Mockfest
Feel Good Film Fest
Friars Club Comedy Fest
Mammoth Fest

As I peruse the internet and research these festivals and decide where our niche is I sometimes come across other short and feature films. Some of them quite fantastic. Some of them I never knew existed. And that is what struck me to write this blog post. So many of us out there doing good work and having a great time. Lots of those filmmakers websites say the same things we say "wish us luck in festivals", "finished post!", "tired but editing and loving it".

My dad has always said do what you love and the money will follow. And my mom always says the early bird gets the worm. And my grandmother, in her wheelchair, at my wedding, told my grandpa after he ran her into a wall "I don't go through walls." So I guess that's how it all came together in my mind one day.

Comments

Popular Posts