Frozen Winter

In winter everything seems to freeze in time. When I wait for the bus on North Avenue I feel like even though cars rush past me and snow sloshes forward, everything sits still. Like we are in a snow globe-shake it once and things start over again, we don't snap out of it. Maybe its the holiday shopping. The daily glance I give to Old Navy as I ride past it on my evening commute. The same people going in, the same people coming out. Does my day repeat? It gets confusing. Sometimes the air is the same chill, the same wind, the same type of snow. When its warm outside it always feels like a new day. I don't know why. And none of this means that I don't like winter. I just put up sparkly decorations the other night and put my holiday gifts together (using old brown bags and decorative tags to be greener). As a matter of fact I like being in my home more in the winter time because I can cozy up and make an excuse to stay in. In the summer all I want to do is be out on a bike or going out for drinks or just sitting in the park. Winter forces you to be close to home and family and the things you love to do in solitude. But for some reason when I step outside my door its the same day. One time during a blizzard my friend and I couldn't leave her apartment for four days. We ate grilled cheeses (that's all we had) and chatted and laughed and, well, eventually got bored with each other. But it's a lasting memory. I guess, while your frozen in time, make the best of it.

Comments

Popular Posts