Spoiled Rich Kids

So I stop into Starbucks today for a treatsie and I get my stuff. I'm waiting for my coffee and I look around. Mind you I'm in Lincoln Park (ahem: trixies, rich folk, yuppies, preppy students). I see some kids gathered around a small table. It's so obvious. The expensive Buffalo jeans. The Macs tucked away in their Mac bags. But then the irony of the sagging hipster skinny jeans. The studs in their noses. The bright orange and blue streaked hair. It's like Breakfast Club meets High School Musical 2. Disney wearing mascara. You get what I'm saying? And then I narrow in on this kid and he's got an, I'm sure, 10 dollar salad, and he's constantly saying "like no way", "like fuck that", "like omigod" and he's got the salad bowl up to his mouth and he starts drinking his salad. Ya, he is scarfing it down like he's never been taught anything about manners. And I'm slightly confused. So as I'm leaving I think back to high school, to some of the kids my sister knew in high school, and I know who those kids remind me of. They were those kids whose parents had a lot of money but their kids didn't want to identify themselves with that rich white culture. So they'd "rebel" and get a tattoo, some piercings, and protest animal fur wearers. But the problem was these kids were so spoiled they were doing it all in vain. So as I'm thinking about little Dillan shoving corn and greens into this mouth like a garbage dump truck, I realize that I'm thankful I guess. In light of Thanksgiving coming up, I'm truly Thankful that my mother and father made me clean up after myself and didn't always allow me the Guess jeans I wanted every year. Because now I know how to eat a god damn salad.

Comments

Anonymous said…
...and how to hold your silverware properly :)
Anonymous said…
....sometimes you had to beg like a dog to for desert though...:)
-M said…
Yes our parents actually cooked dinner and taught us table manners! My mom would have been pissed if I had spent $10 bucks on a crappy salad! Have fun in the real world kids!
Anonymous said…
You do put your napkin in your lap and leave your elbows off the table when you eat, right?
Jessica said…
Yes, I did have beg for dessert. Most likely why I overeat it now. And yes, I wear a napkin but my elbows are usually on the table. Because I'm so expressive when I make puppets out of my mashed potatoes.

Popular Posts