The Flashing Lights....

were blinking blue from about 3 blocks away. As I approached the bus stop I thought to myself I don't want to wait for the bus in front of a crime scene. But it was unavoidable. So I walked toward the light. When I approached I saw a white car, perhaps a beaten up 80's Chevy cavalier (looked like my old high school car). There was a woman, possibly hispanic, with her two children. A boy who was 3 and a girl who looked 6. Behind her was a cop car. A white male cop in the drivers seat and a female cop in the passenger seat. They were filling out a report it seemed. The woman in the car with her children looked nervous as she was biting her nails. The lights seemed to frighten her daughter who sat still and silent. Her son was playing with a toy and trying to have conversation with me. I just kept looking for the bus. The woman and I made eye contact and she asked me "phone?" For a split second I considered lying, but I couldn't. Something told me it was her right to call someone, no matter the situation. She was with two kids and alone and it was clear she did not speak english. I gave her my phone. I made eye contact with the male cop but he didn't get out of the car. I knew I might have gone too far. I stood back near the bus stop and watched her talk on my phone. Her kids looked at me and smiled. I smiled back. Suddenly another cop car came with two female cops, one of them spoke Spanish. All four cops got out of their cars and talked and laughed in the street. The Spanish speaking cop went to the driver door and started talking to the woman. The woman, startled, hung up my phone. The other female cop went to the passenger side. The kids seemed startled as well. The male cop approached me "Did you give her your cell phone?" "Yes," I replied. "Why?" "Because she asked to use it." He smirked, "Now you'll never get it back." What does that mean? "Why is that?" I say. He pauses, breathes, and I smell the heaviness of beer on his breath. I tell myself to read his name on his badge. Last name is Sperger. First name something I couldn't recall later as I was writing it down. "I don't know. What if the bus comes?" He laughs. "Then I would ask her for my phone back. I'm not worried about my phone." He tells the other cop to get my phone back. They give it to me. The bus comes shortly after. The woman and I look at each other. I get on the bus. Her son is crying.

I ride the bus all the way to The Abbey Pub where I'm supposed to meet Brent. I'm thinking about the woman, her kids. What did she do that was so wrong? What more can I do? That cop had been drinking. They were all laughing. Was there a hint of racism. I can't decide.

I get off the bus and remember that the number she dialed on my phone is still there. I open it. I dial the number.

"Hola?" The man sounds like it could be her husband, her dad. I'm not sure.
"Hi, do you speak English?"
"Uh, no. Uh, a little."
"Ok. I'm going to try."
He says something in Spanish.
"Your friend used my phone. She is at Kimball and Altgeld."
"Oh! Fullerton and Kimball?"
"Yes, she's there."
"Ok, you wait. I ride there."
"No it's not me. SHE'S there."
Pause.
"Oh!! Yes, si! Ok, thank you thank you!"
"Ok."
"Ok, I ride there."
"Ok, bye.
"Bye."

I felt better. But I can't shake it off. Do I report this cop or do I let it be what it was? I have no idea what she did wrong. I heard them say she might not have insurance. Is that such a crime that four cops need to scare two little kids. Or that a drunk cop should be able to yell the f word in front of everyone and slur his speech. I'm still considering the situation.

In any case, I feel that I did what any person would do. I offered her the right to protect herself in some way. Because from my view, she certainly not being protected by anyone at all.

Comments

Popular Posts