Strangers

I was on the train coming home from the suburbs yesterday and I was minding my own business reading the Sun Times. Which I've decided is WAY better than the Tribune FYI. Anyway, I'm on the blue line and there is a woman sitting next to me. She got a call on her cell and from the sounds of it she had missed her stop and wasn't sure where to get off. She was meeting someone for coffee and they decided to just meet at the next stop and find a place. She got off the phone and applied some make up. I wondered why. Not that it was any of my business but it just sounded like a friendly meeting not some hot date. But what do I know. (Ok, not to pause the story, but I'm pretty sure that I heard someone puke outside my window. That's nasty.) Moving along..... Once we approach my stop (nope, it's gagging. And they are smoking. STOP IT!) Ok, so we approach my stop and she asks me if I'm getting off. I say yes. She asks if there are places to grab some food around the area. I told her to follow me and I'd point her in the right direction. On our way I learned that she was meeting her husband who is in the military. He had been gone for three months and they were meeting, very quickly, because he had to turn around and leave again in two hours. We talked about how he'd been in California but before that he was in Iraq. She had missed him. She hopes he doesn't have to go back. I hesitated to voice my opinion. She was so sweet and it was good to share this moment. Once I pointed her off to Lulas she seemed excited to try it out and pleased to be in a new neighborhood she'd never been. They live in the south loop, which, she said "makes for a lot of temptation to go get lou malnattis pizza every night." We laughed. Then we said goodbye. It was a nice visit, a moment and perspective into someone elses life that a lot of times, I and others against the war judge and probably misunderstand. A new kind of politics, the kind that Obama speaks of, emcompasses compassion for both sides, being able to view the world without narrowing blinders. It was a nice walk home.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice to hear you look at things from a different perspective. I'm a Christian and formerly a Republican that voted for George Bush. I don't hate him like you obviously do, but I don't agree with the war, even though I once supported it. I'm voting for Obama because as you said, "he has compassion for both sides." I'm glad you are trying to do the same. It seems that some of your posts are very critical of Christians or the church in general because they/it are often perceived as judgemental and trying to push their beliefs on others. I'm not disagreeing that does happen, but I feel like you would probably judge me or any other Christian just for being a Christian, without knowing anything else about us. I have a feeling judgement is the exact thing you hate about Christianity, but it seems that you are often just as guilty of doing it in reverse yourself.

By the way, I'm not trying to start a debate on religion, politics or the war even though my comment may come across as a little jab at you. Its not intended to be. I found your post refreshing and it gave me hope that we can all work together for a better country despite our different beliefs.
Jessica said…
Wow! Well I'm glad you are reading my blog. My job as a writer and comedian is to provoke thought about many things including religion. But yes, I am judgmental on anyone who chooses a 'religion' and labels themselves as only such. I have compassion for all people because I am a human being. Not because I am a Christian, Muslim, Atheist.....I'm happy to hear that so many of us support Obama!
Anonymous said…
Fair enough. I understand what you are saying. I think a lot of people label themselves with a certain religion or faith because it makes it easier to find others with their common beliefs. I don't think it is much different than saying your are a democrat or republican. (o.k. maybe a little)The thing I don't like is when people use their faith/religion to try to elevate themselves above others morally or as humans. As you said, anyone can have compassion. I know plenty of Christians and non Christians who lack it. As you probably know, Christianity is not based on always doing the right thing, or else we would all be in a lot of trouble.
I'm strong in my faith and it is a part of who I am, but I'm not throwing it in someone's face...I realize that isn't productive. Everybody has a choice when it comes to faith, politics, lifestyle. I'm sure you agree it is a lot easier to have a dialog when the first encounter doesn't start out with judgement.

By the way, tell Brent I said hi. This is Steve Erwin, I think you probably know my sister Tammy. Maybe we'll see you at Lake Webster sometime this summer!
Thanks for your thoughts.
Jessica said…
Hi Steve! Thanks for your thoughts!

Popular Posts