The Fight Against Acne: A Historical Examination

No doubt, many Americans are faced with the debilitating disease of ACNE. I talk about acne as a serious cause because I know how humiliating it can be for everyone. The pain, the embarrassment, the horribly bad make up spot cover ups that glow in fluorescent lighting at the bar. The attempts to diminish, reduce, and hide the redness by way of spot treatments, masks, yellow/green concealer, exfoliation, crying, and eventually just going tanning and risking skin cancer. Doing all the right regiments and following doctors orders but still waking up with unexplainable mounds of volcanoes on your face. Unless you are living in Hollywood, or have the money to act like you do, forget traditional treatments or Proactiv. Acne wins. The only way to stand up against acne is to talk about it. Tell your story. Don't be ashamed!

Here is my history with the fight against acne:
  • First zits-6th grade-most likely from a)hormones or b) 80's bangs a la Aqua Net
  • Plethora of anti acne meds over the counter and parents having the talk with me about how this must be all my dad's fault due to genetics. I learn-THIS MAY NEVER BE CURABLE.
  • 7th and 8th grade general oiliness and horribly used Cover Girl foundation which no one tells you will make it worse.
  • Home Ec 8th grade Mrs. Conn tells us how to "expel" a zit without using your fingers. She speaks as if we all only have and will ever have 1 major zit in our lives.
  • High school freshman year acne is under control by way of the new botanical organic Aveda line that is all the rage in the 90's. (Basically I dry the and scrub the shit out of my face and use heavy makeup)
  • The acne resurfaces prom 1994. nerves + cheating boyfriend.
  • College. With late night pizza comes the return of pizza face.
  • Post college take birth control to control acne. Have fits of rage. Eat my own face.
  • Adult acne flare ups. Try antibiotics and other "new meds" from random dermatologists. Sometimes pour salt on open wounds.
Things I've tried to cure my acne:

  • A mixture of egg and oatmeal. PLEASE. Biggest joke published in Cosmo or Teen Vogue. Get a grip on reality editors!
  • Toothpaste. Basically just burned.
  • Retinol. Peeled my face. Worked only during the mildest acne stages.
  • Clay masks. Felt good. No results.
  • Exfoliation. Seems to be the only way to have soft skin. With acne.
  • Clearasil, Neutrogena, and other over the counter zit zapping guaranteed products. Sometimes made it worse.
  • Microdermabrasion and Facials. Makes a difference if it costs over $100 and you do it every month.
  • Antibiotics, antibiotics, antibiotics. Sick, sick, sick.
  • Spiroline. Basically this is a new medicine that is used to treat blood pressure but in low doses it helps acne. Or in my case, makes you dizzy and feels like you are riding on Dumbo.
  • Was once seriously considering Accutane. Then they gave me a 100 page manual about the risks and I decided I'd rather continue on my spiritual journey and find peace with my face.
  • Topical creams
  • Sugar and salt scrubs
  • Steaming 
  • Tanning
  • Different hairstyles

    Comments

    Popular Posts