Interview with Chicago Tribune

In an attempt to clear the air before anything comes out that I said or did not say, I am writing this blog post. Recently you may have read the story that made national news when an extra from the movie Transformers 3 was critically injured on set. The extras for this day of shooting, from what I have heard from news sources and those working that day, were asked to use their own vehicles and were paid an extra $25 to do so. In the past I had done extra work on the sets of ER, Family Practice, and Fred Claus. In a lot of ways, it got me great experience watching film crews and the way the hierarchy of a set breaks down. It was not only *easy* money (at times) but just a great way to learn. After being an extra and having some great moments with one company in particular, I decided to quit doing it after working for another company. Being an extra is for those who have a high tolerance for everything. You don't ask questions, you don't say no, and you prepare yourself for 14 hour days or longer without really doing much of anything at times, and other moments are hustle and go with no warning. The pay is not phenomenal and generally you are not going to reach the stars by way of being an extra. The reality is, the extras casting company doesn't want you to walk off set, so there is a certain mystery to the outcome of returning over and over to do the work. Might you get "recognized" or hand picked by the director? Might you move up to reoccuring featured extra or stand in? You very well may, but I have never witnessed someone getting a speaking role from just being an extra. If someone gets a line or two, they usually have another agent and have found a way to get into that role by other means. I'm not saying it never happens, it is just very rare. There are a gazillion other avenues, and usually being an extra is not the fastest or most promising path. However, because this is not spelled out for the young 20 year old enthusiastic that show up day after day looking bright eyed, they will almost do anything if all the director or casting company does is ask. I've seen girls throw themselves at the PA's on set and even go so far as leech on to the assistant director just to get noticed. The environment becomes a quiet unspoken conglomerate of desperation that becomes toxic as people start to get nasty with each other, and maneuvering themselves to get in with those who are connected to the top. They will literally physically step on you to get in front of the camera and in some instances, walk the opposite direction than told in the scene just to get in the shot. When I read that Gabriella was injured I was saddened, frustrated, and overall angry that extras were asked to be part of a stunt scene. I commented on a Tribune article and then was asked to interview about being an extra in Chicago. I did not name a specific company but I did outline certain instances when I was on set in below zero weather and the casting company did not notify hundreds of people about lunch. When we found out there was lunch, the food ran out. Also the PA's for this company had blow horns and treated extras like soldiers. It was demeaning and drove me away from the work altogether. While I needed the money, I didn't need it that bad. Unfortunately, it may be, in Gabriella's case, that she didn't ask what would be expected of her by using her own vehicle. And she may have been one of those extras that believed that by saying no, she may not be asked to work in the future. I hope that if the Tribune chooses to narrow in on this story by exposing some of the problems with extras casting, that it leads to stricter liabilities and overall better treatment of Chicago actors who sometimes have to do extra work to make ends meet.

Comments

Jessica said…
Thanks. When interviewed I had a small fear that I was outing someone, but the reality is, someone almost died.
jodiehardy.com said…
Speak your truth and let the cards fall where they may.

Popular Posts