OnStar: Let Us Get in the Way of 911

Lately I've been hearing a lot of commercials for OnStar-GM's phone assitance program that allows those in trouble on the road to contact them and they will find you who you need-be it the ambulance, an officer, or a fire truck. All you do is find the blue button on your dashboard or what not, and push it.

That's right. Forget 911.

I listen to these radio ads and I just can't believe my ears. You hear fake scenerios scripted out something like this:

Client: "Help I'm trapped in my car!"
OnStar: "Ok, let me locate you since you don't know where you are. (pause) Ok, got it. Now I will call 911 for you."
Client: "Thanks!"

I imagine that meanwhile the loss of blood occuring in the 5 minutes they have wasted having that pleasant chat, will risk this man's life. But no way. OnStar is there to help, not get in the way of help. Call them first, chit chat a sec. You burning in a fire? Just call OnStar they can listen while you cry in agony. Maybe they can call a fire truck.

Why do we keep adding and adding gadgets, people, companies to do things that just used to be a 911 call back in the day?!!

Does anyone else hear me on this?

Oh and guess what, you can't have OnStar installed in your already existing car. You can't order OnStar and speed dial it on your phone. How do you get it? You have to purchase the vehicle that it comes with. Genius!

Comments

Popular Posts