The Story

There are days when I imagine that I will have to tell my child or children or my dog or something that I'll have to raise, about falling in love with someone. I'll have to tell a story about Brent and I and how we met and how it felt and what it was like to figure it all out.

It was just before 2000. It was 1999. And it was like we were two drifters standing at the edge of the most boring earth. And neither of us were wearing shoes. I was carrying on as a sparkler shot off from a far distance. He had been standing in one place, with his eyes closed, just thinking. For a really long time. And when he opened them, I appeared. And I don't know how I got there.

For weeks we danced. Not literally, more like linguistically, if that even makes sense. We spoke forwards. And then all the way backwards. To the beginning again. Like we just kept meeting for the first time over and over and over. Things became more natural and the dancing turned into walking, slowly, carefully, and eventually we stopped, looked at each other, and realized we loved each other.


I would also tell this small child/animal that its taken many years to realize that love grows exponentially if you let it. And it never runs out.

Comments

Popular Posts