Somebody's Lying

So I'm at Borders getting a coffee. It's a lovely day outside and I'm standing in line just thinking about how life is perfect and grand. The guy next to me answers his cell phone. He is in line with me, getting a coffee. What I hear next is SHOCKING.

"Hey there, I'm meeting with client at work right now. Can I call you back? Ok, thanks!" CLICK.

The gentleman behind the counter, serving our coffees, begins laughing and the guy next to me finally busts out too: "LYING!" They laugh and laugh and laugh.

Ok, it's not that shocking. We lie to each other everyday. You might call me and I tell you I'm busy but the truth is I don't want to talk to you right now. I mean, what if the guy would have said "I'm getting a coffee, by myself, and I don't want to talk on my phone with anyone right now. Especially you. Because you are probably calling to talk to me about something I can't really listen to right now because, well, I don't want to." It wouldn't work. It just wouldn't. Or could it?

We live in a world where 'truth' is a common theme. Between Casey Anthony to the Bachelor to George W's eight years of fantasy bomb land, we have some poor mainstream examples to follow.

But what about white lies-like the guy in Borders. Can we really blame him?

Comments

Popular Posts