Experiences

I was stalking some old friends on Facebook this morning. Sometimes I do that. Well, let's be honest, sometimes we ALL do that. And I was noticing all these amazing pictures that everyone has from the last 10 years. And then I became so nostalgic, sad, yet happy that we've all gone our separate ways and had our own experiences. But how strange it all is. Isn't it?

When you know a person for say, a year, or maybe even more than that, you feel as if you will be close forever. Time will never change a thing.

Then before you know it, one of you lives across the country and you wouldn't know how to find each other even if you googled it. But then suddenly one day, you friend request each other on Facebook. And just like that, you are back in each other's lives.

I flip through pics of people climbing mountains, having children, getting married, traveling through Europe, partying in houses, posing against the backdrop of their aged families, and I'm so amazed by the human experience.

Experience is power. Without it, how do you become who are you, or evolve or even generate new brain cells? Imagine sitting in a room for 10 years and doing nothing. Your body chemistry may just rot, wouldn't it? Or what if we never made new friends? What might challenge us or open our eyes to a new perspective? Imagine if one day I meet my old friends in person, after they've had all these experiences? Would we still have the same "ol'" chemistry, or has the universe changed our being and we are best set where we are? Someday, we will form 10 more years of experience and lose touch again.

I think about these things because it all seems so ambiguous. And in some ways, I like that. And I like knowing that I love people who I don't even know anymore really.

Comments

Popular Posts