Diaper Commercial Speaking Directly to Baby?

I'm at the gym on the eliptical machine watching Roseanne. Love Roseanne. Such a sign of the 90's, a sign of the times when middle class was functioning under another Bush era and as kids we understood the angst of Becky, the dark side of Darlene, and the naivity of the boy. Can't remember his name. He was sort of forgettable both as a tv personality and as the odd guy out family member. DJ! Yes, DJ. In a way Roseanne was that middle class mom that many suburban women could relate to-the struggle with femininity, social class, and hard work. In addition to being able to break the barriers with her children by way of doing better than her mother did when she was growing up-not talking about stuff at all. If I was a college professor I could teach a whole class on Roseanne.

Anyway, commercial comes on and I switch gears. Sometimes I tune out the commercials but I didn't and it was something about diapers. And then the female voice starts talking "diapers this and diapers that" and then I see the baby crawling around in diapers. And then the woman says "A diaper that goes with you and stays on you through everything because you never stop moving." I sort of perk up because I'm not sure I heard the woman right. So I listen more closely to the end of the commercial and again while the baby is on the screen and she says "A diaper that you can love."

WHAT THE EFF?

Ok, I'm sorry. But now the whole daytime commercial bits aimed toward stay at home mom's has hit a whole new effed up level for me. NOW YOU ARE TALKING TO THE EFFIN' BABY? No. No, no, no, no, no. When does advertising stop grasping? Are they basing this on the fact that three year olds MIGHT pay attention in hopes that they'll point to their desired diaper brand from the children's seat in the cart? "That one!" Well guess what ad agents? Three year olds, the last time I chhecked, are typically able to walk and take a crap in the toilet. So you lose.

Comments

Popular Posts