Is Facebook and Myspace Fakebook and Spymase?

Here's the thing. I love myspace. I'm ok with facebook. My old age causes me to feel confused when I launch into Facebook because it's all over the place. But I have friends who prefer facebook, so whatevs <----- see I know hip slang.

But recently, I have had friend requests on both that are from people I'd never think I'd hear from again. A couple of them I was hesitant about. Like do I really want someone who I wouldn't normally be in touch with, to be able to see everything I do and say to my closer friends. Do I want them to be able to seek out my email address or know that Eileen and I got drunk the night before? Those are the decisions one must be faced with on these social sites. However, because I'm mostly an open book anyway, I gladly accept from most people. Hey, it can't hurt to reconnect with old high schoolies or those who you thought hated you but they must not because they "friend requested" you.

But then it gets all weird. Because once you "accept" these people as your friends, you want to say hello, ask them how life is, and start some dialogue. I mean, that's what I would do in the grocery store. If I saw a girl I hadn't seen since high school and we came face to face in front of the frozen aisle, I'd definitely say "Hi, Stacy, how the hell are you?" So naturally, or maybe unnaturally-I don't know maybe it's the age thing again, perhaps its old fashioned-I send a message or write on the person's "wall" or "page" a comment letting them know that we are friends now and I'd like to reconnect with them.

But then I realize after two days, four days, two weeks, and now a month has gone by, I never heard back from a couple of those people. Does that make sense? I mean, they've sought me out, they've asked to be a part of my "network" and then they ignore my attempts at communication? Huh?

And that's where my big question comes in: Is is Fakebook and Spymase? Don't you think it gets rather annoying when you realize that certain people just wanted to be nosey and find out if you are married, successful, cool, ugly, fat, pretty, or flat out popular after all these years? Has Facebook and Myspace allowed people to be even more fake then they already might be?

I'm not interested in those spies. I'm just not. If we are going to be friends online or in real life you have to show me that you have good intentions. And if you don't I'm "removing" you from my list.

I'm not talking about high maintenance relationships here. I mean a simple 'hello' would be sufficient. Even if it's only once. My god would it hurt just once?

That's it. I just wanted to put this all out there, because I think social networking sites are great, but they are kind of part of the problem our society has with disconnect, obsession with other people's lives, and general lack of balls.

So grow some if you're gonna be a part of it. k? thanks.

Comments

-M said…
This is a very interesting point. Social networking applications are an interesting topic. On one side they are great for finding old friends and keeping in touch with friends across the world. On the other side they are not personal and is it really real communication. Face to face conversation is almost coming to an end. We may talk on the phone or text our friends more than we actually have a conversation. I am not sure if this is or good or bad yet? We don't know. Thanks for provoking thoughts.
I'm with you on this one.
Here's what annoys me...
"Join my mob for mob wars!"
"You've been poked by ___"
"You've been given a green plant by___"
"You have two kissing requests"
"You have a hotness request"
etc
etc
etc

Ick
I don't have time for that crap!
I WISH I had time to waste on that!

Popular Posts