Chicago CTA Strikes Again

Oh. My. Goshdamn. I was on my skippedy way to work today and of course it's a busy train and bus situation because of the air and water show. I don't know how I forget the air and water show is going on. When I sit in my office I feel like I'm sitting in Iraq. But when I head out the door, I seem to forget about it and assume that my commute will be peaches and cream. Not so.

Did you know that most of the people that go to the air and water show have babies and strollers? Did you also know that most people headed to the air and water show right now are from out of town? Yes. So it's just mad house right now. You get on the train but you're smashed against a baby's bottle. You run for the bus and there is a line to Indiana.

Fortunately I got a seat on the bus today. And I'm not always a seat hog. If someone is in need I forfeit the opportunity. But today I wanted a seat. As I sit I read my book but there's a lot going on.

Babies are crying. Young girls are complaining about their bikini wedgies. Old homeless men singing about dirty white culture. An old grandma farts loudly. Here we are, the melting pot of the midwest crammed into the bus like you might cram every last necessity into your coin purse for going out.

I can't concentrate and I'm texting my friend about the situation. There's no escape. More people get on the bus and others won't move to the back of the bus. They conglomerate in the center because they are between the two doors and that's the safest place in case of a needed emergency escape. The driver shouts "Move back!!" Slowly and unwillingly they do. But it takes too long and the bus driver assumes there is no room. He leaves about 20 people at the stop.

Then I try to get off the bus. And no one knows how to move and they get scared because I might have touch them to get by. And I do while stepping on their dainty feet. As I climb off the bus I am relieved but not quite. A hoard of people are at the sidewalk, and I'm running late to work. They are waiting to get on the next bus. So I weasle my way through the crowd. I cross paths with a woman to get by and she mumbles to me "you should say excuse me" after I'd already said "thank you" to her. I turn around and remind her so. She looks at me blankly. I guess we're both having a rough morning.

I haven't heard the planes yet. It's peaceful here in the office and I hope the commute home is just as eventful. In spite of it all, can't live without drama!

Comments

Popular Posts