Staying Connected-A Look A Texting

The girls that I've known since childhood, high school, and college, are all, for the most part, still a part of my life in some way. First, there is my sister who I am in touch with religiously. Second there is Missy, a childhood friend that I used to run through neighborhoods with an swim for hours on end with during the summer months. Lastly there are those like Kelly, Heather, and Rachel, who I don't see often but we find a way to keep in touch because we will forever remain connected by our past experiences that we bonded through at different times. Now there are others that I have met in Chicago whom I see regularly. But the girls who I don't see often, thank god for text messaging.

Sure, it's annoying to see someone buried in their phone, fingers furiously trying to type one sentence before they pay in the check out lane or get on the bus. You just want to say to them "seriously, get your head out of your phone." It seems tedious, consuming, and all around obnoxious. But if you knew what they were writing, might you bite your tongue and smile?

Every once in a while I get a message from a distant friend "I saw you-know-who, ah the memories" or "remember freshman year pizza parties?" or "just wiped out in the middle of the grocery store and shit my pants. help." It's those texts that we get randomly in the middle of a good or bad day that remind us that we'll always have a friend out there that we can say anything to and they'll just get what we mean or our sense of humor.

Sometimes I'll send a text over to my sis quoting a line from a night we spent togeter two months ago. I know it's the best medicine when she's stressed at work. Or a picture message has the same affect. Maybe one of her laughing at dinner the last time we went out. My friend Kelly will sometimes give me updates of her family and I'm grateful we have this way to quickly get up to speed.

Sure, nothing beats a real meeting for a girls night or a girls weekend. But texting keeps us going when sometimes we just need a boost from our girls.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just sent you a text :)

Popular Posts