Afraid of Failure or Success?

Living in the city and knowing so many different types of artists makes for feeling so much a part of some sort of change or revolution. I'm not quite sure what we are standing for or what it is that we are collectively or not collectively trying to say, but we are saying it and willing to be criticized or adversely, loved for what we do.

When it comes to doing art or following our passion I often wonder: Are we afraid to succeed or fail? Do people never quite get off the horse just because of a simple voice inside themselves that says "it won't work" ?

Coming from a father who was a motivational speaker on how to succeed without being afraid of failure and a mother who came through a midlife crisis smelling like roses, how is it that I still can recognize that little voice inside of myself? I suppose it's because we all have it. But is it a fear that if I speak my mind or make characters who are offensive I will lose an audience or is it a fear that if I do those things I might gain such wide recognition that I'd have to bring it to the table every time?

I think everyone experiences this. Whether you are starting your own business or just trying to be a good mother or you picked up the video camera for the first time to make a home video, you often wonder "but what will this lead to?" It can be overwhelming.

Small steps is key. Focusing on what you love is the most important ingredient. I think so long as you are willing to be yourself and say or do what makes you most happy, then the rest will just unfold. And even if it doesn't quite turn out how you expected, that's the adventure and risk that can be just as rewarding.

Comments

Popular Posts