Sunday Morning

I'm sitting downtown at a Starbucks near my old job at Ballet Chicago. I'm thinking about the likelihoood that my old boss could walk in here and what would we say? What DO you say to someone whom you no longer speak to when you see them unexpectedly?

I guess you can iether choose to say ni or you can choose to ignore them. We've all done it. We've pretended that we don't recognize someone because we can't bring ourselves to confront the reality that its been so long or the reasons why.

Sometimes there is no reason that you can put your finger on. And in some cases you both know exactly why-a reason that it's that much more awkward.

Falling outs happen. They are not easy and they are not fair. I've reconnected with a few old college friends that I thought I'd never reach again. And I've remained estranged from those who I thank god are no longer a part of my life.

A friend said to me the other day, some people are meant for a certain time in your life. When I look back to a few months ago I wonder why I was meant to ever know those I worked with at my old job. And what's more, why did it only last a few months?

If we are constantly growing as people I wonder if those freak friendships or situations or jobs are meant to just teach us a quick lesson. And we either learn from it or we overstay our visit because we are meant to be there for longer.

Sometimes I think two people can stay friends forever if they are both willing to grow with the changes of life and each other. We have to decide at which points we can stretch ourselves and which points we can retract. We have to know boundaries and have the ability to adapt to change. If we can't I think the friendship ends.

Floating in and out of these times and moments and transitions make me anxious but also make me glad to have had so many layers of understanding of the human condition. Myspace and Facebook have brought so many old faces back into my life. Some of them have changed and some of them have not. And those who have seem to fit better into my life now because we've come a long way from the way things were.

I'm no expert on relationships or friendships or sustaining any job given my track record. But as I sit in Starbucks I realize that if I see my old boss today, I will be ok with that and I will say hello and I will then go about my life. I'm sure she learned something from me too and would feel equally as strange. And we will both always know one thing for sure: I will never be a perfectly graceful ballerina.

Comments

Popular Posts