Fate

When you're scared of something, how do you deal with it?

There are things that creep up on us, that pop up in the middle of a good life, that we cannot control. It may happen to us, it may happen to our family. And when it does, how does one deal with the uncertainty. How does one cope with fear?

My philosophy is that you turn it into good energy. You live with intent, you make stronger connections, you focus on the positive and never think the worse. But is this natural for us? No.

I have a good friend who received a diagnosis for cancer over a year ago. He lost his hair, his body aged, he became physically weak, he had to drop out of big creative projects-his passion. Those around him, including myself, began pitying him with comments like "you're going to be ok", "i feel bad for you", etc... He would always respond with some funny comment or tell us a story about how a doctor had to stick something up his ass. Then he'd laugh about it. He always laughed. He never complained. I'm sure he complained to his wife and I'm sure there were moments of fear, doubt, and vulnerability that he'd never experienced. But it was the resistance and refusal against negative attitudes toward his circumstance.

Amazingly within about a year, he recovered swimmingly. Tonight I'll meet up with him about some film projects and by looking at him, you'd never know he went through all that.

If the victim of an unfair fate can constantly laugh about his situation and remain positive, then I know it's possible. And while I attempt to practice this type of reaction to fear, I hope you'll take with you this story and believe that within yourself there is a will to overcome anything as well.

Comments

-M said…
In the words of the band Chicago "You're the meaning in my life
You're the inspiration" or was it "You're the perspiration?"
...regardless you have good advice. It's good to stop and think about being positive no matter the situation! Peace!

Popular Posts