A haZy dReam, a rAinboW ColoRed JourNey

My trip to Omaha was nothing short of magical. I returned this morning and on my way to the airport Matt said to "you'll get home, and this will all seem like a dream. You'll think 'did I really just go to Omaha and spend 48 hours just creating and cranking out two music videos?'" That's exactly how I feel.

Matt and Jenn's house is like a field of abstract energy and room to explore and heighten any idea or song at any time of day. We started off on Monday writing music to lyrics I created for our folk duo "Pice"-a husband and wife duo from the 70's, Steven and Savannah Carbine, who continue to tour with their heavily sugar coated folk rock. Beneath their performance is a stormy relationship that only begins with Savannah's obvious instability and Steven's cocky nature, and mustache.

Once we had the recording down in Matt's studio, we headed to the Omaha Playhouse to use their stage for the filming. We spent a few hours with Vanroy and nailed it down.

Later Matt and I and one of his improv cohorts, Monty headed to a local club called Prestige. There we did an improv set, and Steven and Savannah attempted to perform one of their singles until it broke into a fight and eventual mayhem. This was followed by some musical improv which I did not feel was my best performance but I managed to say something highly offensive "Hey I'm Hillary Clinton look at me, And if you want you can fuc* my daughter Chelsie." This was post two glasses of wine.

On my way to Omaha I had gotten inspired by an old idea to write a rap song about a woman who refuses to have a child because she doesn't want to be a good mom or have to give in to social pressure. I wrote the lyrics on the plane and we produced a beat and laid down a track by Tuesday night. We hopped over the costume shop, got back to the studio to create the graphics and off we went to KXVO news to film our rap video. Not only was this hysterical for the musical magic, but Matt chose to wear a diaper and bonnet, and nothing else.

We finished filming at 2:30 am. Woke at 4:30 to catch a 6 am flight. I landed at 7:30. And have been back to work since 9am. My eyes are swollen, my brian feels like a turtle that's missing legs, and I barely washed my armpits and my hair is greasy. But it's all worth it in the end. Cause when this shit airs in March, I'll remember that I had that hazy dream, and I'll say "Oh, yeah, let's do that again."

Stay tuned for pictures!!

Comments

Popular Posts