Dear Artist

Dear Artist that may be one of the following:

Temp, corporate assistant, admin assistant, receptionist, barista, waitress, retail pimp, bartender, bike messenger, teacher, etc....

Sometimes people push you back. You try to move forward, to understand, to find clarity, but they doubt you and cut you off or put a wall up between you.

This happens to me. Sometimes I'm not sure why I continue the journey or why I work so hard to make it better for them. Sometimes it makes me question myself, my capabilities, and my understanding of the world.

These people, when they shut you down or can't listen because they don't listen because they never learned to listen, may never ever never listen. These people who say no, who hear no, who only know no, may never say yes. And these people who doubt you, may never know why you gave up or walked away.

I find that as I encounter this situation almost every day since October, I am confused, and yearning for the opportunity to shine in my own light. I find that the more I try to compromise in order to connect to this person, the more I feel small inside. The more I try to offer my light to the organization, it is reflected back at me with blinding criticism.

In the arts, they say this type of behavior should not and does not exist. I now know that it exists everywhere. Everywhere you go, when you are doing something for someone else to help them do their God given gift, there is the potential that you could get lost, and even worse, lose sight of your own gift.

While I can't rectify the situation immediately I try to remind myself everyday, and I want to remind you, that there is something out there for everyone that is attainable and reachable with hard work and the perserverence to get to the end while maintaining "stability". Artists work damn hard. And in this city I know some of us are working 80 hour weeks with day job and rehearsals.

Some of us have caved at times and decided to "take a break". Sometimes we hear a voice in our head saying "this phase should pass". No, it shouldn't pass. When you start feeling overloaded and frustrated remember that you are contributing in more ways imaginable by choosing this path. By choosing to keep with your passion and to keep a commitment to say yes to the one person who always said yes back: you.

Comments

Popular Posts