The Pigeon Man



Brent and I lived in Lincoln Square for 3 years. It's a nice neighborhood on the North side of Chicago. It has a lot of character and history. Right on the corner of our main intersection sat this man, Joseph, everyday. People called him the pigeon man. To me, he seemed almost a ghost. A gentle, peaceful soul that the birds trusted and came to for rest. Yes, he did feed them, but not always. If he was sitting. They would flock to him and sit with him. For three years I would see this man and he become a regular part of the Lincoln Square scenery. Well, today, the Chicago Tribune reports that Joseph was hit by a van and killed yesterday. He is pictured above. What bothers me is that the van only got a ticket for negligent driving. If a person hits and kills someone isn't the law that they get charged with vehicular homicide. Is this person getting off easy because the victim was homeless, or without money? I think the man deserves something in the end.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When I read that i thought the same thing - but who knows the whole story. That is sad though, he made me feel Chicago - a anynomous person who gave the city character.

Popular Posts