Dream

I had a dream last night. A vivid one. It took place in Chicago (Old Town). It was dark but in color. Brent and I were visiting his parents who lived in an old house/theatre opera house. They told us they were leaving it and we could live there. We were in the green room and we were laughing because we said this would be perfect for us. A theatre with bedrooms. A space for anything we want. Then we parted for a minute and I was out on the street walking. It felt ghostly and odd. There was a car riding back and forth on the street dangerously. It would go to one end of the street, stop, turn around, and go to the other end. I bent down to see who the driver was. It was no one. There was no one driving this maniacal car. I ran to a hair salon where, in my dream, my friend Shawn was working. But it was after hours and he was in the salon getting stoned with his co-workers. I banged on the door and he let me in but he was weirded out and not able to talk to me. Said he was in the middle of relationship problems with his boyfriend. Then the car sped by the salon. I told everyone to come to the window and verify that there was indeed no driver. Then the car took full speed, turned, and crashed into us. But no one was hurt. And by the time the car hit the window a driver appeared. He was an older mentally handicap man. Then I woke up.

I just had a thought. That dream confused me but now I wonder. Last night Brent and I watched this movie called Wendel Baker. It was written by Luke Wilson and has a Wes Anderson feel to it. Anyway, the movie is about Wendel, a man who wants to be a crusader, he wants to seek change for those who need change and do not have the means to do it on their own. But Wendel gets in trouble because he takes on projects that are illegal or sometimes just against what society allows. Anyway, in the movie he is released from prison and put to work in a retirement community. He spends a lot of time with these older men who are lonely, or have reached a point of confusion in their lives. The movie really touched me because it represented the elderly in a way that movies generally do not adhere to. It made me see the elderly as people who still want youth and feel youth in spite of their outward appearance. We misjudge the elderly a lot.

In my dream I believed the car was trying to hurt someone. I believed that what was happening, I saw it as a threat. Then it turned out that the person behind the wheel was mentally handicapped and he needed help. He was confused. I misjudged. I didn't see the reality of the situation at all. Is this metaphorical for my life? Did I dream this because of the movie? I don't know.

In the end of the movie Wendel inherits a line of properites gets his dream job. He succeeds because he never abandoned his self and his desire to help others. In my dream, Brent and I inherit a theatre space across the street from Second City.

Do movies affect us subconciously and we might not even know it? YES. When I took film studies in college this was a huge part of our theoretical research. Films are made to affect us. The shots, the angles, the shadows, everything mise en scene is there to convey a certain feeling, a certain perception or idea.

If movies affect us, it is good to recognize that many of our films today are loaded with violence, sexism, and feature minorities in roles that are socially regressive. Even if you think this is overanalyzing our TV culture, just know, that when you lay your head down, your subconcsious takes over and there's no telling what undertones in the movies affect your line of thought as you contemplate your own personal issues and questions.

Wendel Baker was an independent film that I do recommend. Its comical, sweet, and fair. It's a fair movie for its representation of the human condition. And there's a flippin' sweet cameo by Will Ferrel. Oh, maybe that was the mentally challenged guy in my dream. Well, then again, maybe analyzation takes us farther from the obvious then we realize. But you can't blame me for making connections. Who knows, my subconscious I guess.

Comments

Popular Posts