First Day


Well yesterday was my first day of work. I didn't write about it last night because, well, it exhausted me. But it was a great first orientation day. First, I showed up WAY early because I had the time wrong. So my boss was heading out for lunch as I arrived. She asked me to walk with her. She's very nice and down to earth. I'm really going to like her. We walk to a little dig next door which looks like a simple convenient store on the outside. To my surprise we enter and its this AWESOME health food store/cafe. It's got this amazing curry smell to it and its very hippied out. Upstairs is the cafe and its got green shakes and all kinds of healthy dishes and indian dishes and meditteranean dishes. She talks to me about how she's a health nut which sounds great to me, because, well I need to be one again. The place is called Kramer's Health Foods. It's at 230 S. Wabash, downtown near Adams. See picture above.

Anyway, eventually we got back to her office and I met the girl that I am replacing. Not too awkward. I think that like any arts organization, there isn't going to be the funds to run it like a corporation. It's a small company, that deserves to survive.

On the positive side, I get my own office that overlooks Wabash!!! Woo hoo! When I interviewed for the job back in July the person in my position was located in the back of the building at a crappy desk amongst many other desks and people. The office is a big plus. I'm very excited to decorate and make it my own. It's pretty messy and sterile right now. I have lots of ideas. Since I am the main person that the kids come to, I want it to feel welcoming and happy. I'm excited for this.

By the end of the day I had gotten a LOT of info. There is A LOT for me to learn in a short of amount of time. Ballet Chicago does The Nutcracker. THis is a huge task for me because I'm the person sort of running the technical end of things. I organize the volunteers, get the kids in order backstage, handle all the forms and order forms, send each group out at the right time during rehearsals and performances. It's a big part of the job. The Nutcracker. This, I'm nervous, and excited for all in one. But having worked the Second City's youth camp, I think I have some handle on how to conduct this.

I will continue to train today, Friday, and Saturday. On Monday, I'm on my own. I'm just ready to get in there and do my best.

More updates later!

Comments

Popular Posts